Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Never Ending Hike On Sunday we wanted to do a low key hike...a nice family hike that Matt's dogs would enjoy. So Josh suggested Grandeur Peak in Millcreek Canyon. He told us it was only one mile each way. Sounded great to us!! So we packed up the cars and headed towards the mountains. We parked at Church Fork and started climbing up the trail. There's a waterfall right at the trail head. It was gushing with water. It was a warm day, but luckily there was plenty of shade and little streams for the dogs to get water. Short Dog and Gwen had to be in the lead! They were keeping us on task. The mountains were so green! This is rare for Utah in July. The wildflowers were also out in full force. They were beautiful! We were having a good time hiking along the trail...but after awhile we started to wonder if we were ever going to reach the peak? We had been hiking for a long time, it was only a ONE mile trail, right Josh??? Well, once we got a little higher and could actually see the peak, we knew it was NOT a mile trail. Josh kept saying we were almost there, but he was WRONG! It turns out the trail is actually 6.4 miles. That is a BIG difference than a mile trail. We were all planning on a leisurely Sunday hike, but Nope!! We were doing a 10K hike!! The poor dogs couldn't take it anymore. It got really steep and they were worn out. Their two inch legs couldn't go any further up the mountain. I don't blame them:) So Matt took Gwen and Short Dog back. We were determined to climb to the peak since we were over half way there. So me, Josh, Ben, and Whit kept climbing! We kept hiking and I kept asking, "Are we there yet?, How many more minutes?" Josh kept answering, "15 more minutes." He said that about ten times:) Well, we FINALLY made it to the top!! It was worth it! The view was gorgeous! You could see all of Salt Lake City...and then some! We conquered the mountain!! It was thundering and Matt was waiting on us so me and Josh decided to run down! It was pretty steep but I didn't care, I just wanted to be done with this hike:) We were about half way down and I biffed it big time! I slid on some lose rock and scraped the whole left side of my body. One word, ouch!!! It did not feel good! But, again, I just wanted to be done so we kept running and finally made it to the parking lot. We found Matt and the dogs...and waited on Ben and Whit. Some of my battle wounds. The worst bruise is my upper thigh...but I am sure you don't want to see that:) It's black and blue and swollen to the size of a softball! No pain, No Gain:) We were all starving after our adventure on the mountain. We made paninis for dinner. They were extra tasty! All said and done we had a great time...but next time I am reading the hiking book. We looked at it when we got home and it does say it is a 6.4 mile hike. Josh just read it wrong...completely wrong:) Good times, Good times though!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment